Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Suisei no Gargantia - 4

"The Flute of Recollection"

The fact that I'm already emotionally affected by the final scenes of this episode goes to show what a fantastic job it's doing.

It's really quite vexing having Urobuchi be behind the writing of this series; the thing is, every episode of Suisei no Gargantia has been more wonderful than the last, and it's excruciating wondering just when things will snap into far more familiar territory for Gen. Though he's stated that he's trying to do something different with this project, it's hard not to worry that sooner or later he'll reach his limit. At the moment, however, it's hard not to be struck dumb by the plain beauty of the first four episodes, beauty that comes through in every element but the CGI. The character designs and color palette are gorgeous, the characters are wonderful and individuals in their own right, but most of all, this is an intelligent series. This is Urobuchi Gen without obvious distaste for humanity, Gen with a focus on the simple act of living and the philosophical conundrums that follow, and I have to say, I like this Urobuchi more than anything he's created up to this point.

There is a stroke of realism in this series that continues to pervade its very core, and it's no less visible than in Ledo himself. We've seen the child soldier motif tackled again and again since time immemorial, but for it to be handled with this sort of tact and sensitivity is really quite astonishing. Ledo is a real soldier, not just a normal boy in a fantastical situation. He's been culled his whole life to think and act a certain way, and all he can do is think in terms of efficiency and usefulness, as is proper for a soldier of his Galactic Alliance. He has no concept of family or idleness, and the Gargantian's concepts of living together for the sake of living on baffles him. It isn't until he talks to Amy's brother, Bevel, that he finally understands; living is the simple act of living, and there's no more purpose to it than what you assign to it yourself.

The idea that Gen's works are at their best when two parties sit down and talk remains true here; a lot of very poignant themes underlie this fundamental conversation, and really it comes down to Ledo being something of an extreme PTSD case. He can't cope with emotions and peace because he simply can't comprehend them anymore, but it doesn't mean he's an emotionless vessel either. His flute, which he's been working on for episodes now, is a symbol of his own motivation and individuality, but it's also a link to some long forgotten past, where a relative, presumably his younger brother, was disposed of when he became too weak to function as an asset to the Alliance. It's tragic and quite heartbreaking to realize that Ledo's conditioning even robbed him of this memory, enough to make him shed genuine tears when he otherwise has no understanding of their meaning. It's the first time I've really connected on a fundamental level to Urobuchi characters, and for the sake of this work, I really hope this is only the first instance of many to come in the remaining eight episodes.

8 comments:

  1. "Utterly beautiful". IMO, that's the best way to describe this episode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love your blog :D I just found it while looking at Immortal Rain reviews (because I LOVE Immortal Rain) and decided to look around. I like your analysis on Ledo regarding his emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Winnie! ->.<- (Immortal Rain is quite beautiful, yes; I LOVE it too, though my review here is only so so). I'm glad you like it here, and I do love this series; Ledo is such an interesting character and Gargantia is definitely my top pick this season.

      Delete
  3. In just 4 episodes in, this show has impressed me more than most shows do in its entire run. I've been familiar with Mr. Urobuchi's work in the past and have been disappointing (Psycho-Pass was particularly hard for me to watch in terms of character relations. No matter how hard i try i just couldn't not get emotionally invested in the characters, no did I really care about them).

    With Suisei no Gargantia, everything (so far) has been done so elegantly that you cant help but get emotionally invested in the characters. Especially for me, as I was walking into this series with a doubtful stride. The only thing i find distasteful is Chamber's design. But maybe that was intentional, as Chamber would be considered completely alienated in terms of design with the rest of the world.

    Regardless, with everything else, Chamber's design doesn't even matter. The story is absolutely amazing so far. The animation is gorgeous and solid. The characters and delightfully well written. Kairi, you synopsis of the episodes thus far are spot on. This series is absolutely amazing, and I probably wouldn't have given it a chance if I didn't read your reviews of the episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean. I'm also never quite on board with Gen's work, and while I can very much see where he comes from intellectually, emotionally his shows have always left much to be desired.

      Chamber and the CGI in general are a bit out of place, I agree, but Chamber as a character is quite an interesting one.

      I'm really really happy to see that my writing inspired you to watch this anon! This is my favorite series of the season and it's really wonderful to know that my review exposed even one more person to it! I hope you continue to enjoy it, because at the very least these last four episodes have been utterly breathtaking.

      Delete
    2. That ending quick flashback that Ledo has of his brother being culled... had me in tears. If Gen keeps up with the pace he's going in this series, this may be his best work ever.

      And thank you again for reviews that lead me to this series. Which is quite amusing because i was looking for a Eureka Seven Wikia page and stumbled on your site.

      K.S.

      Delete
    3. I cried as well too, and I agree; this has potential to become a true classic.

      Not at all, thank you so much for reading them! Haha, I imagine it would pop up on a lot of Eureka Seven searches... but regardless, I'm really happy you stuck around; you're always welcome here.

      Delete