Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Suisei no Gargantia - 3

"The Villainous Empress"

"Give fresh water to he who catches fish."

Three episodes in and Garagantia is showing no signs of letting up; it remains a tightly constructed narrative that ticks off all the right boxes at exactly the right time, and it's showing just the right amount of Urobuchi Gen's touch without drowning in his philosophy. If this is what the man can do when he's put under control, then by all means, let him keep doing it! If it continues at this rate, I can easily see Suisei no Gargantia landing on quite a high spot for the year, and even claiming classic status some years from now. As it is, at the moment it seems we have something very special on our hands so far, and though most of us are tensely awaiting the moment when shit hits the fan in traditional Urobutcher fashion, I think this series can do great things even without all that drama, and this episode proves that this is the case.

After all that happened last week with the pirates, Ledo finds himself in a more precarious position than ever. The fact of the matter is, though he may have helped the Gargantians, his methods are placing them in just as much danger as if he'd never helped at all. Not only do they have to worry about the practical matters (as in, when the pirates will want their revenge), but now they have very real reason to fear the boy from outer space. As Ridgett so rightly puts it, what's stopping him from turning on them and annihilating them as he did the pirates? His morals on murder are clearly not the same as theirs, and though he's just as practical, the problem lies in perspective rather than in actual questions of ethics. After all, though Ledo has no issues with murdering in cold blood, he still goes pale at the thought of eating an animal carcass; which, in typical Urobuchi style, raises questions of morality, ones which, as usual, have no answer.

However, Bellows also raises a different point, which is "give fresh water to he who catches fish"; in other words, it's only right to return the favor when someone does something for you, and though Ledo might be threatening, he did in fact save her life. Her resulting trust in him drives him to decide to stay on the Garagantian's side, and even to follow their conditions and fight the Pirate leader, Rakkage (Tsunematsu Ayumi), without taking any lives. While that makes things far more complicated for him than he's used to dealing with, he nevertheless adheres to his word (as a good soldier should), finally placing himself in an advantageous situation with his new hosts. The question now is, just how well can this war-conditioned boy adapt to a life of relative peace when he's not even familiar with the human emotion of gratitude? I'm guessing PTSD will take some role from here on out, and though it isn't perfect (too much CGI for one thing), Suisei is definitely the anime I look forward to most each week.

13 comments:

  1. When I saw Code Geass OVA. I thought, CG is not so bad as they say. But now, My eyes bleed.

    According to what bellows say, they point guns at each other as a way of negotiation. But, how can anyone expect me to believe that no one died during that battle. It's not like they fire at each other after making sure there aren't any humans in the vicinity(in the previous battles as well)like what Red did, or firing rubber bullets. Aren't they contradicting what they say and what they do?

    Anyway, this really was a great episode.

    p.s: If I were the commander of the Gargantia. I'll ask Red to wipe out(Okay, more like obliterate) all the pirates from the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I hated the CG OVA CGI. It was ugly and distracting. In comparison Gargantia's is not as bad, though still annoying.

      They fought in self defense so they were entitled to fight (which is why they carry weapons), but they weren't aiming to kill; rather, they just wanted the pirates to leave them alone, whereas the pirates were out to actually kill the Gargantians.

      That would be unfair if there were pirates who had never done anything against them. Ledo isn't going to be there forever anyway, and if other pirates later heard that he'd left, they'd come back for revenge.

      Delete
  2. Oh Bones, where da hell are you when we need to cleanse our eyes of this whole CG shenanigan....and the lack of Bones for the summer lineup just makes me sad face..=(...

    Anyways, aside from the usual quibble, I absolutely adored this episode. It was perfectly executed down to the last scene of Ledo's first earth-sentence – quite a sentimental touch to an already excellent episode. Well, that sealed the impression and landed this show in my top spot for the season.
    So far, despite its ambitious framework, the story is infused with a good dose of realism, highlighted in the delicate politics. I really appreciate the efforts put into humanizing the characters as well as the interaction between them, without sacrificing the big picture. The balance is just spot on and I hope it stays this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as if they NEVER use CGI either; Bones is just smarter about how much they limit it. >.< Fall, Glass. Just fall. D:

      I though that was adorably wonderful. "Aregato", I wanted to hug him haha (I love hugs, btw). It's quite the special series, and I'm really hoping Murata can keep Urobuchi in check for the last 9 episodes. It's quickly becoming apparent that with restraint, he can do really great things.

      I love the politics too. The whole language barrier thing, for example, is an issue, just as it SHOULD be, and it adds a level of finesse most series ignore.

      Delete
    2. I actually think CG is Bones weakest spot, but I agree, they don't use it very often and I like it to stay that way. I don't think we need to worry about Bones going to the dark side though, given how much pride they have working on 2D.
      Yesh...T-T...but the wait for official announcement is burning my brain cells..>>...Not to mention they are working on TWO things, one is Space Dandy, the other one is probably that thing they "announced" a year ago, the new version of a "familiar" series. I keep thinking maybe it's a Soul Eater reboot...but is S.E really that popular to warrant a reboot?..o__o..Also we have to consider the fact the first 38 episodes of the anime actually followed the manga faithfully, unlike FMA. So I don't know..=/..what are the chances it's not a Bones franchise and something else entirely. They've been working on it for such a long time too.....I think there's a good chance it's going to be multi-cour.

      If Urobutcher-san (is that what we are calling him from now on?..xD until he redeems himself?) doesn't go out of the line with Redo's character, then I think we are in for some pretty great ride. Amy is too sunny to go Urobutchi on us.

      Delete
    3. I think it's everyone's weakest spot (for the most part). Hand drawn stuff is just so much prettier, it's really not nice to see CG take over. I suppose we'll find out in the Summer. :0 SE was pretty good imo, so maybe? Though maybe they'll remake something older. OHSHC's manga finished, so maybe they'll reboot that (unlikely though it seems)? That's true though, it could be something else... hmm, my curiosity is piqued.

      That's what everyone calls him haha. Urobutcher-SAN though. xD I dunno, he tends to throw in cute happy characters. AND THEN HE KILLS THEM.

      Delete
    4. I think I.G is pretty great with CG, I don't usually find it jarring when they are the one on the job. Case in point, Gargantia is looking a lot better than Valvrave in that department.

      SE is entertaining and Bones went all out with the stylized animation. But wow, they gonna have to retread a major chunk of the plot to get to the new stuff, and SE only came out in 2008, looking as polished as any series today. OHSHC is a possibility, but yeah, I don't see a need to reboot that one, it's more efficient to just follow up with a sequel with how open-ended the series was. Something older....any ideas? RahXephon?..lol

      Aww, I think it's a somewhat endearing nickname haha. We mean no insult. xD He's a very intelligent and cultured man, a rare beast really. LOL...well, Madoka..oh wait...yeah never mind. I think he just doesn't like naive characters, by naive I mean the ones too blind in their pursuit to notice their own shortcomings. He makes a good point, albeit one that ends in question mark, as you already mentioned.

      Delete
    5. Which is why I say, for the most part, haha. But yes, IG's is much more fluid than Sunrises atm.

      They'd have to change from BREW on, but I can't really see them redoing that seeing as it's pretty new. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be E7, that would not go down well haha, and it's very unlikely. RahXephon, Mars Daybreak, Wolf's Rain? I guess we'll just have to wait. >.<

      Haha it kind of is. xP Yeah, he just gets a little to involved in his own thoughts. Yep, which is why he's THE BUTCHER. I dunno about that, he goes after everyone.

      Delete
    6. Agreed. Valvrave felt like I was watching a 80's or 70's film with 3D graphics. XD.

      P.s: I really hope the director will keep "The Butcher" in check. So far, the lighthearted tone of Suisei is too goood to be true.

      Delete
    7. LOL picking E7 would be like butchering their own work, and Dai Sato will be beyond pissed. I wouldn't mind seeing RahXephon I suppose. Wolf's Rain...hmm..I think it looks pretty damn gorgeous even by today's standard. I've never seen such beautifully animated wolves. I haven't seen Mars Daybreak, is it any god? But yeah...we'd have to wait..T-T

      Well, fair enough...but truth be told I'm not really fond of the characters he kill off anyways..>>

      @Swarz o
      lol..Valvrave is just...it's not just the mecha design (which isn't all that elegant in my opinion), but the battle itself looks rather retro in shape and form, and it wouldn't have been bad thing if they stuck with 2D.

      Delete
    8. @Swarz o: Unfortunately the retro look doesn't go as well with the CGI. So far things are progressing smoothly, but who knows if that will be the case forever!

      @Glass: It would haha, which is why it's doubtful. xD It could be something external too; "familiar" makes it sound like it's popular or otherwise well known, but in terms of Bones series only a few really fit that bill right now, especially with generational shifts and not many new viewers having access to older projects. I haven't seen it either, but I keep meaning to. >.<

      Yeah well, I'm rarely a fan of ANY of his characters other than on a superficial level anyway. xD

      Delete
  3. No worries Kairi, I'm also bombarded with exams. I have four in a week...like wtf is this schedule. Ugh....school is unfortunately a priority right now. Will check back later~!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm sorry to hear that! Good luck on your exams! You're almost through!!!

      Delete