Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Initial Impressions: Arata Kangatari

pic name pic name pic name
I get the same impression from this adaptation as when I read the manga for the first time; it's not exactly the most gripping start.

I'll admit that it has been a while since I read Arata Kangatari properly. It's a manga I liked, but it was one that grew on me over time and then became too tiring to follow once I got busy. That doesn't mean I think it's a bad manga, however. Watase Yuu is skillful in what she does, and what she's doing is bringing together the shounen and shoujo manga worlds into one series. Her shounen characters have a tinge of the shoujo composition (note the abundance of bishounen, for instance) but the shoujo elements are also used to a mostly interesting effect. The normally overdramatic bullying convention, for example, fits quite well with Hinohara Arata's (Okamoto Nobuhiko) situation, and it adds a rather brutal coloring to his life. The shounen elements too are less pronounced and conventional than a shounen mangaka would make them, though Watase-sensei clearly tries to adhere to that staple whenever possible.

However, this isn't a review of Arata Kangatari the manga; this is an overview on the first episode of Satelight's adaptation of Arata. Yet, I can't help but feel the same about this premiere as I did at the first chapter of the manga. In truth, the opening sequences of both aren't all that awe-inspiring, and that's even less so for the anime, which has much less time in which to tell the same story. The premise is quite basic, and surrounds the circumstances of two boys named Arata living in parallel universes. One, Hinohara, is a boy living in the modern world and plagued by bullying, while the other Arata (Yoshitsugu Matsuoka) inhabits a fantastical world where he must act the part of a woman to buy time for a sacred ceremony. When things go badly for Arata and he's blamed for the murder of a sacred princess, he escapes into the forest, only to find himself switching places with Hinohara. The rest of the episode then focuses on Hinohara's bewilderment and his coming into contact with a power that will change everything.

As interesting as that sounds on paper, the premise has never quite managed to hook me the way it's supposed to in either manga or anime. There's something almost flat about it all, or difficult to empathize with, and it doesn't really sink in all that well. There's a lot of jargon surrounding Arata's circumstances and not much of it is explained, which only makes things that much more difficult to follow. The characters too, at least on Arata's side, are more shounen stereotypes than not, including Arata's retainer Kotoha (Takagi Ayahi), who dutifully fills in for the slightly ditsy female sidekick. However, I do have the benefit of hindsight, so while I don't particularly find the premiere to do that great of a job, I do know that if done properly, Arata Kangatari should become a better series over time. That being said, I'm on the fence about whether or not this will go on the schedule; I suppose Satelight will convince me one way or another soon enough.

N.B.: Thanks to Ivan for the wonderful screencaps!

Episode 1 Screencaps: "Arata's Life"
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
ED "The Misfit Go" by OLDCODEX
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name

8 comments:

  1. Yuu Watase has a record for writing interesting stories that house relatively generic characters, and to be honest, I don't see any breakthrough here so far with Arata. I don't know how to put it, her stories tend to leave a thick taste in my mouth that's not entirely pleasant...Like the plot tends to get heavy, the characters histrionic, but at the end of the day, I don't feel the connection like I'm supposed to. I enjoyed her stories when I was much younger and less opinionated, but I couldn't really go back to them now that I'm more critical. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her characters do seem to be pretty black and white from most of the manga I've read from her, but I've never hated her work or anything. She's hardly my favorite mangaka, but she likes to throw in a couple of interesting twists into her plots. I've never been an outright fan of hers, but I can see where you're coming from. I like Arata, but I dunno if I like it enough to blog it.

      Delete
    2. Hmm, maybe blog for a couple more episode and see if it holds up. Heh, my argument is I don't like her enough to hate her. xD..but that's just me being pretentious. Nah, she isn't a horrible writer, her stories can be really enjoyable if you let yourself be absorbed. I think I've outgrown her style if that makes sense, similar to how I've outgrown Prince of Tennis, a show I was really obsessed with at one point. I do like her art a lot, it's old-school and just overall very pleasant to look at.

      If there is something I really hate vehemently, it's gotta be the new Rurouni Kenshin adaption....god..I bursted a vein watching that. That's what I mean by loving something enough to hate seeing it tarnished by blatant attempt to grab cash.

      Delete
    3. Probably the best idea, but I'm so OCD that I don't like dropping things if I've done enough work on them. xD So I usually try to drop ASAP. I'll keep watching it though. I've kind of outgrown a lot of romcom conventions myself, and the shoujo ones especially. The misunderstandings thing does get on the nerves.

      I've not seen or read Rurouni Kenshin so I couldn't say anything, but I have heard it was quite terrible, yes.

      Delete
    4. LOL Oh Kairi...so you have the train wreck syndrome. I used to have it when I forced myself to finish Negima and Elfen Lied. But these days I don't have that much time to spend on shows I don't really like, so I drop them pronto the moment it turns into a mess. I didn't end up finishing the second arc of SAO..>.<

      Aww~ give it try one day! RK is...well..I think you'll like it. It's a show that combines plot and characterization extremely well. I think Kenshin still remains my favorite male protagonist to this day (Edward is on par with him xD), so you can probably imagine how furious I was when I watched the new adaption. It'd be kind of like someone took Eureka Seven and chose random clips from one of the best arcs in the story, digitally animate the whole affair, reduce the action sequences to minimal movements, and release it to the market under the disguise of "Eureka Seven revamped". Yes, it's that bad and now I'm just venting again, so I'll stop lol

      Delete
    5. Maybe haha, but I try to be positive unless I really hate something. xP I liked EL okay, so that's fine, but finishing SAO and Sasami-san was a work of pure willpower. >.<

      I will, but it'll have to wait for the summer, I'm afraid. =p Edward is pretty epic, so I'll definitely be looking that up. xD So... Pocket ga Niji de Ippai, basically? ;p Though I liked it okay, haha.

      Delete
    6. I don't think I hate those series, just didn't really like them. Hate is too strong an emotion xD...which only applies in very few occasions. EL...it wasn't a bad series from an objective stand point, it just didn't click with me personally.

      Not even close...Pocketful of Rainbows is an alternative retelling that was at least interesting, and Bones did not butcher the animation, while that RK thing was literally taking random plot lines from the original series, meshed together awkwardly and served on a ......rusted dish or something LOL ..Okay, I'll be honest, the backgrounds were nice, but that's about the one thing. It was just...pointless.

      Delete
    7. Yeah, I understand what you mean.

      I think so too, but they did recycle a nasty amount of animation. Most of the film was outsourced to Kinema Citrus anyway, but the new animation was still really nice and I enjoyed the plot. The novel is much better though, I must say, if only because it allows for so much more detail. I see, haha. Well in that case I'll avoid that new one. xD

      Delete