Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Shingeki no Kyoujin - 3

"Shining Dimly in the Midst of Despair - Mankind’s Recovery 1"

Hubris is always, always, a big mistake.

I'm quickly starting to note that this is Eren's greatest flaw, which isn't saying much considering he and the rest of the cast are still only about half-fleshed out. Though his ass is saved at the last minute through dues-ex-machina, he nevertheless nearly screws himself over by being too self-assured about his chances for success. That's somewhat understandable; his experience definitely sets him and the other Wall Maria citizens apart from those who only join the trainees in order to seek a comfortable life within the inner wall. However, though he may be aware of just how horrifying the Titans really are, Eren is only a twelve year old boy (though the character designs could fool me) and could do nothing but watch while his mother was eaten before his eyes. In order to brag, you have to have the strength and ability to back it up, and Eren was dangerously close to eating his own words.

Of course, this is a shounen adaptation (bleak though it is) and since the hero needs to be special, Eren not only gets away with his hubris, but he also turns out to have been more talented than the rest put together. While that's a somewhat easy way to get out of a very dire problem, the fact remains that this series is still pretty damn amazing three episodes in, even though it lacks the solid characterization that would skyrocket it to the top. Regardless, this doesn't mean that the characters are bad, and in fact, the focus this week is on introducing the cast beyond Armin, Eren, and Mikasa (who puts everyone else to shame with her magical transformation into woman at twelve years old). By far, the most interesting of the new batch is Sasha Braus (Kobayashi Yuu), whom either possesses some serious ovaries of steel or is completely devoid of common sense as she seriously munches on a potato during initiation ("Are you asking me why people eat potatoes, sir?"). The inclusion of such a character seems to indicate that not everything is angst and drama in the world of Attack on Titan, and I think that's a good thing; it humanizes some of the more difficult aspects of the show and allows a better link than what Eren and the others have so far managed to provide.

Though this isn't my favorite series this season, it's certainly roaming around in the top three, and after the three episode test I can say with fair confidence that this is a pretty epic series in the making. I'm a fan of the bold outlines and art style, for one thing, because they bring to mind the stark reality of the horror these people face. I'm also captivated by the fantastic world building, something that is supported by the premise and also explained well through the use of dialogue (a feat rarely accomplished without feeling out of place). There's a lot of emotion running around too, and though I can't say I empathize as much as I want to, there's enough here for me to agree with the general consensus on the quality of Shingeki. If there's one thing I'm wary about, it's Eren's propensity for pride, and I hope that won't come back and haunt us too badly in the long run.

N.B: Many thanks to Ivan for the screencaps!

11 comments:

  1. Sigh...yeah..Eren is a problem lol, I don't like characters who have more brawn than brain. Well, not even brawn in his case...lol..he just let his emotions get to him without utilizing his frontal lobe to cool the heck down. I can tolerate him right now because he's still very much a kid, which somewhat entitles him to immaturity. But I hope to see some self-reflecting and growing rationality in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you said, not even about brawn. He's just all talk atm, and though it looks like he does have talent in the end, it doesn't change the fact that he almost failed and made a huge mistake by running his mouth self-importantly. We'll see where his character goes from now on.

      Delete
    2. It would be quite unfortunate if he grows physically but not mentally. With everything else in this show so spectacularly executed, having an annoying character is gonna dampen the momentum sooner or later...Let's hope it won't be the case and Eren grows a brain or two.

      Well, I'm sorry for the advertising Kairi, but I think you'll like Kenshin a lot if you like intelligent and self-aware characters. The show is pretty old, like Eva old, so the animation is not up to par, but I think you'll enjoy the story. Can't wait til you get around to it so I can have a long discussion with you. xD

      Delete
    3. Omg..did you hear Wit studio is looking for animators?...o__o..They were asking around on twitter. Yesh..that's right..Wit studio, the branch of I.G is desperate enough to recruit people through twitter. Apparently they are seriously understaffed for the project....I wonder if something has happened.

      Delete
    4. Well, even if it does, the story is definitely doing all the heavy lifting anyway, so it might not make all that much of a difference.

      I'm planning to watch it! I just need to be free for the summer to start addressing my anime backlog.

      I DID NOT. :0 That's crazy! I wonder what happened that they need animators ASAP.

      Delete
    5. Exactly, He's the sole reason I dropped the manga and, I'm not willing to sacrifice my precious bandwidth to see an irritating protagonist go shouting loke an idiot. Everything was great about it, but I just couldn't stand that f***ing annoying MC. I would've preferred Mikasa as the MC, but then there wouldn't be the thing what they call "character development" now, would there. Such a shame.

      Delete
    6. I don't think he's as annoying as all that yet (I've seen worse), but he does irk somewhat. However, I wouldn't let that take away from everything else; it's still a great narrative disregarding Eren's personality.

      Delete
  2. Sooooo Kairi, What's your favorite this season. Would it be safe to Assume they would be Gargantia and Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge? (Looks like a really should take a look at Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge) :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suisei is my favorite, and Dansai is right at its heels, yes. Shingeki is at 3rd, with Hataraku at 4th and RDG at 5th. You should, it's pretty damn amazing.

      Delete
    2. Ho...Hoo. I guessed correctly, then. XD. Suiei is my favorite as well. Alright. Off to download the 1st epiode of Dansai. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
    3. It's pretty damn great, so that makes sense! Hope you enjoy it. Don't let the weirdness fool you.

      Delete