Sunday, April 7, 2013

Initial Impressions: Suisei no Gargantia

pic name pic name pic name
Now that we're well into the first week, the good premieres just keep on coming.

Knowing what Production I.G and Urobuchi Gen are capable of, Suisei no Gargantia is certainly a series I've been keeping an eye out for. It didn't hurt that I knew it would be a sci-fi and mecha, but I've been a little apprehensive about the way Gen would handle this. What the premise reminds me most of are series like Bounen no X'amd or the first half of Eureka Seven, where the communal living experience and character interactions are what drives the story forward. On the other hand, Gen's characters never quite seem to get off the page as forces of their own, and his style reflects a much more philosophical and big-picture focus. While the premiere doesn't remove the fear that this collaboration might go to hell in some form another, it does at least cement this as a work of great production, and I'm pleased to say I enjoyed it highly.

Ledo (Ishikawa Kaito, a newcomer who's actually about my age... what have I done with my life?) is a soldier in the Human Galactic Alliance, which is currently at war with an alien species known as the Hideauze. During a battle in which humanity is forced to retreat, his mecha is thrown off course and into a wormhole, and he awakens six months later in a strange place with unknown people attempting to break open his craft. Unable to understand a word they say, he takes a girl, Amy (Kanemoto Hisako), hostage for self-preservation, only to discover himself aboard a colossal ship on the planet Earth, a place lost to human mythology since historical times. Ledo's incredulous reaction is second only to the ship's occupants, who find his mecha and technology as threatening and alien as he finds them.

Other than the CGI, which I can live with here, the animation production is quite nice, and I like the contrast between Amy's bright colors and Ledo's darker, more subdued ones. In terms of characterization, there's not too much, but there's definitely some of Urobuchi's spin in Ledo's personality, made obvious in his monologue at the beginning of the episode. His desensitization toward war and own admittance that he's lost the ability to fear are points right out of Urobuchi's repertoire, and I wouldn't be surprised if that, and more, lies at the thematic center of Suisei. However, there's also some witty humor to be had here, especially when it comes to the language barrier. The literal translation of expletives by the mecha's control system while Ledo runs around the base with Amy slung over his shoulder leads him to seriously consider the ship's crew barbaric, and his overly serious attitude is broken by his nonchalance while handling his hostage. The last scene was also quite beautiful in the way it captured Ledo's awe, and Urobuchi even managed to get Christian imagery into the very first episode. It's a great premiere for what I hope will be a great series, and if Urobuchi can overcome his issues with characters, I can easily see this becoming a classic.

Episode 1 Screencaps: "Castaway"
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name

8 comments:

  1. I like the X'amd and Eureka comparison..xD I agree the vibe is there.The premiere is not quite as powerful as the one for those two, but it still stands solidly on its feet. The humor was also enjoyable LOL...the gibberish each respective party hears is definitely not any language we know.
    Yup, really enjoyed this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's that powerful either, but it does feel like it has the potential to explore a similar route. I loved the translations Chamber gave, hahaha. Hataraku Maou-sama! also has some excellent gibberish language, much funnier than this one, actually.

      I'm hoping it does well, you never know with Urobuchi Gen.

      Delete
    2. Chamber is a prime example of what you call "taking speech out of its cultural context"...lol...but that was clever humor. And yes I just watched Maou and it's pretty darn hilarious, love the cab scene (and everything else really)...it was priceless. xD

      I don't think Urobuchi is scripting all the episodes, though since he's on composition, I don't doubt his influence will come through one way or another, and you already make a good point on Ledo, whose personality seem to reflect Uobuchi's philosophy.

      Delete
    3. Indeed, it was great. Wasn't it? I really don't care what that turns into, as long as the humor is that spot on. xD

      His influence always comes through, he's a pretty powerful force on any writing team. I think what's going to happen here on the heavy-lifting side is that Ledo is going to go through PTSD. If you notice how many hours he's had of military service, it's basically 16 years worth, and he's 16 years old. He knows nothing of normal life, and it might be hard for him to adjust.

      Delete
  2. Agreed on several points. Normally CGI worked into 2D works really irks me, but it actually wasn't so bad. I found I really liked Pinion (and the whole time I wracked my brain thinking, 'I KNOW your voice actor but WHO. ARE. YOU..." and by the end I realized it was Akushiba from Xam'd, haha. I hope I end up really liking his character; he seemed pretty fun in episode 1.
    The only possible downsides to this show, I think, are a possible lack of development in time for Amy (even though I really like her for now) and too much crammed into its length, throwing off the pacing. As far as I know, its only set for like 12 episodes. :c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they were hand drawn, but at least this one wasn't so intrusive. I liked Pinion too, though I didn't know that! That's really interesting, haha. Hopefully he's a good sign for characterization.

      I'm not sure if I like Amy yet, she's had so little screentime. But I can easily see her staying without any development. Twelve episodes isn't a lot of time, but I suppose we'll see what happens. This isn't supposed to be a story with too much action, so it might be alright.

      Delete
  3. Aaaah.....Why is it only 12 episodes? Such a shame. Still the premier is one of the best of this season along with Maou sama. "Sexual intercourse with mother" and "Sanctified excrement". LOL. Chamber deserves an award. Also the voice acting has been great.

    Oh..and the episode two is also out, if you didn't know. They sure don't beat around the bush explaining things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because that's the way the studio decided to do it, unfortunately. However, at least this one is an original work made for twelve episodes, rather than an adaptation. Chamber is pretty awesome haha, and the voice actors, particularly Ishikawa, are doing really well.

      I did know, but I'm purposefully holding out. Since I might be dropping Arata, it would leave a huge three day break in the schedule if I got Suisei done too quickly this week.

      Delete