Sunday, April 21, 2013

Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge - 3

"To Escape the Storm"

It's a bit early to say so, but I honestly think I love this series already.

It's incredibly ironic that I was worried Dansai would be a conventional series with a weird twist when I first heard about it, because this is about as unconventional as a series can get without being utterly literary or otherwise non-anime. Oh you have your loli-ish characters and your fanservice, but everything else about this series is quite literally like almost nothing I've ever seen. I'm continually amazed by the sensuality and beauty of the fetishization of Iwai's hair, for example, and it strikes me how strange it is that I don't consider it to be lewd or otherwise unpleasant despite these glaringly obvious undertones. The gothic feel in the atmosphere, the use of sepia and colors during action scenes, the wonderful chemistry between Iwai and Kiri; it's all beautifully executed stuff, but beyond that, the very essence of the series is breathtakingly good, and almost downright unique.

This is certainly true for me when it comes to the romantic relationship at the center of this series. Iwai and Kiri outwardly seem like many a tried-and-true pairing, but there's a level of honesty and trust here that's rare among many relationship portrayals in anime. Though their words don't necessarily betray anything deeper than the love of two friends, their actions tell a whole other story. Take, for instance, the moment when Iwai throws herself at Kiri, completely naked, because of her fear. Rather than have this be a traditionally ecchi scene (and there are ecchi connotations, have no doubt), Iwai doesn't try to push him away after her impulse or otherwise make a big deal about it. She's embarrassed, yes, but they nevertheless sit there in an embrace while he comforts her without freaking out about her exposed body. And even more refreshingly, Kiri doesn't do anything to her other than partake in their already ritual hair fetish, with this being what makes Iwai call him a pervert. For all the fanservice and otherwise questionable qualities of this scene, it's actually a gorgeous one, and it goes a long way to characterize the relationship in a favorable light.

Then there's the Crime Edge itself. The lengths that Kiri is willing to go for Iwai are certainly astonishing, and it's not everyday that someone is willing to become a murderer for their loved ones. Of course, much of this is circumstantial; without Iwai as his Instead, Kiri would eventually degrade into a murderer regardless, and there's also the fact that the blood of Grayson, history's most prolific murderer, runs through his veins and has passed the Crime Edge onto him. It's hard to say that Kiri doesn't enjoy the moment of cutting his enemy's flesh either, and though he tells Iwai that he's still himself, I have to wonder if something hasn't changed now that he's become adept at shedding blood. In any case, hell is only ever a moment from breaking loose in this series, and things are quickly shaping into an elegant spiral of chaotic and dark proportions. A murderer-to-be, a girl whose hair magically grows out at the stroke of midnight, a set of psychopaths with ultimate murder tools out to kill her; Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge is one of the most bizarre series I've ever seen, and I think I'm in love with it just three episodes in.

N.B.: Thanks to Ivan for the help screencapping!

10 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. I thought I wasn't going to continue it after the first episode, but this week, it was one of the shows I'm genuinely looking forward to watching.

    I agree that the scenes with Kiri & Iwai, even with the blushing and pseudo-orgasmy faces seem weird, they actually don't do anything sexual. I'm watching this show earnestly, so I'm somewhat relieved that you posted this. I'm getting tired of reading almost every other post only emphasizing the weird fetishy aspects of the show but not seeing the sweet aspects of it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a strange experience, but one well worth watching. It's quickly risen to my top five, perhaps even the top three of the season, and I'm quite pleased with the way it's going about doing things.

      It's rather elegant compared to crude or raunchy, and I really like how they take it to be pretty normal despite their natural embarrassment about it all. I'm not sure what everyone else is saying about it, but for me this is a really refreshing look at a sweet relationship with dark connotations.

      Delete
  2. No doubt about it Kairi, it's a gorgeous show with a lot of thought put into it and it flaunts a fairly different kind of bizarreness. It's not really my cup of tea I'll be honest, but that has more to do with my general indifference towards the relationship paradigm than any fault of the show. It's great for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame it's not your thing, but that's totally fine too. It's a polarizing type of show, and I can understand how it's not as compelling without interest in the relationships.

      Delete
    2. Hmm...I'm still enjoying it, just not as emotionally engaged as many are. Dansai is rooted in many elements I don't particularly enjoy (such as having psychotic characters for the sake of being psychotic and damsel in distress). I need to detach myself from my own opinions and preferences to get anything out of it, but I actually think it's worth the effort in this case because it's got something unique going on.

      Delete
    3. Ah, I like psychotic characters when used stylistically, but I don't particularly like the damsel in distress thing either. Well, if you can enjoy some of it, I suppose that's better than nothing!

      Delete
  3. Hmm, after reading your review I kind of want to check this show out! I had written it off based on the loli-ness look to it (not so much the premise, since anime does tend to bring out some weird weird stuff xD), but with you, Cherrie, and Enzo all raving about the show (I love getting 3 different perspectives on one show, so thank you for your posts), I am finally intrigued! Time for the 3 episode test... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be warned, Windaerie, it is a little bit suggestive, though not for the sake of being so. However, it really is beautiful and captivating despite that. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. I find myself really enjoying this show, don't get me wrong, it is definitely weird, but its weirdness is sort of what pulls me in. I am a fan of the relationship between Iwai and Kiri, because its so mutually beneficial. Iwai can't go to school if he hair is too long, and it has so far hindered her life in many ways, and Kiri has the blood and weapon of a serial killer. However, when you bring them together, they are able to fully liberate the other from their so called "prison" Iwai can live a normal life, and Kiri can control his impulses that otherwise would lead him to being a killer. The way they play off that relationship is easily my favorite part of the show, though the atmosphere certainly helps too. It reminds me of Gosick (one of my favorite anime), and Dantalian no Shoka (which I also greatly enjoyed) which are both shows that express a certain kind of relationship, and have a similarly darkish atmosphere that I find appealing. It's a shame however, they neither of the two previously mentioned series have been licensed, at least Crime Edge has gotten an official announcement of a home release, so I hope that it can find success.

    I am intrigued with what they will do with the concept of this show. I know it will only be 13 episodes, and there are 7 volumes of the manga (I think) so there is no way that everything will be covered, and the overarching plot, if there even is one, might not be fully exposed with the number of episodes that have been announced. But, either way I find myself loving this series, and I can't wait until the next episode comes out. If a show can give you feels purely based off of the fact that a character got her hair cut, I'd say it's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a mutually beneficial relationship, but ultimately it must end in violence, though not necessarily against each other. Kiri can either be rid of his curse by staying at Iwai's side forever and (ironically) become a murderer for her sake, or he can turn on her and kill her, thus removing his status as Author (though I very much doubt he'd ever even consider this, it's actually the most humane way; he'd end up taking less lives). Gosick and Dantalian are two of my favorites, and Gosick is definitely on the RRV list for this year, so I can appreciate the comparisons.

      I dunno what they plan to do, but so far they're doing an amazing job at it. I'm excited to see more on Wednesday.

      Delete