Sunday, April 14, 2013

Initial Impressions: Kakumeiki Valvrave

I know opinions are fairly split on this one, but I at least enjoyed the heck out of this premiere.

When you've gotten through your fair share of stories in any medium, you start to realize that there's no such thing as originality. For as long as humans have existed, we've always told narratives, and every idea has already been used in some shape or form at some point in time. That being the case, there are some narratives that are so obvious in their borrowing methods that it's tough not to give them flak for doing so, and I can see where a lot of the criticism against Valvrave comes from. Sunrise is pretty much the origin of the legacy of mecha as we know it today, but it borrows from itself as heavily as it does from others. Code Geass, Gundam, etc., there's so many similarities it's kind of hard to call this original material. However, to say that the episode wasn't entertaining is going a bit far; at the very least, Valvrave knows how to keep your attention firmly glued onto it for its twenty-odd minutes.

Though there's nothing particularly unique or eyecatching about this series in its singular components, it does all come together really well. The character designs and colors are more pleasing than they should be, though nothing objectively special, and though the events are those straight out of every mecha series ever created (more or less), they just work here. Tokishima Haruto (the excellent Ohsaka Ryouta showcasing his talent once again) is a normal student, albeit a citizen of a neutral space colony called JIOR, who has no more worries than how to confess to his spunky friend Sashinami Shoko (Seto Asami). When JIOR is invaded by the Dorssia Military Pact Federation despite JIOR's neutrality, Haruto's normal life is shattered, and vowing to get revenge for the attack, he throws himself into the cockpit of a conveniently available mecha hidden beneath his school, signing away his "right as a human being" in the process.

What Haruto doesn't know is that the school had earlier been infiltrated by a set of youths from Dorssia pretending to be students, and that they're the ones responsible for getting Valvrave, Haruto's mecha, out in the open. Their leader, L-Elf (Kimura Ryouhei) hunts Haruto down and kills him... except Haruto's contract to give away his rights as a human being has turned him into some sort of immortal vampire, and things are suddenly way more complicated than they seem at first glance. It's a great twist, albeit a somewhat insane one, but it does go a long way in helping to establish just what it is this series is trying to do. Original or not, Sunrise has created something at least interesting and at most entertaining, and I don't think it's really trying to be different from most mecha. Like Ginga Kikoutai, Valvrave is harkening back to the roots of the genre, though it takes itself far more seriously than the former and does a good job at it. Really though, ultimately all that matters is how much you as an individual like something, objective criticism aside, and far from perfect though it is (oh how I want less CGI), I had a lot of fun watching Valvrave; look forward to its inclusion on the season schedule.

Episode 1 Screencaps: "Revelation of the World"
ED "Preserved Roses" by T.M.Revolution x Nana Mizuki
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name

10 comments:

  1. The CGI is really irksome....I'm not sure what is it with studios and CG-fied mechs this season, the trend seems more prevalent than ever. But you are right, the set up is nothing to rave about as far as originality goes, having a traumatized teenager piloting a deadly machine is hardly anything new. But like you, I enjoyed this one a great deal, what an epic ride. I'll take good execution over forced originality any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CGI is unfortunately becoming a staple of the mecha genre. There just aren't as many studios willing to put in the funds and effort to make beautiful hand-drawn mecha anymore, which is why AO was such a breath of fresh air last year. Valvrave was just really good fun; regardless what it took from, it was interesting, crazy, and just enjoyable.

      Delete
    2. Bones makes me want to cry tears of gratitude...T-T..Jinsei Best Ten is GREAT, actually...that's an understatement, it's AMAZING. I love it to pieces. But yeah...AO had some very gorgeous hand-drawn mech fights, especially itano circus in the last couple of episodes, my god, I haven't seen anything that wild since, well....since Eureka Seven lol. It's a damn shame almost no other studio is willing to invest so much...but Sunrise...I didn't NOT expect sunrise to jump on the bandwagon.

      Delete
    3. The director behind Best Ten is the guy who's been delivering all the epic Bones episodes lately. Step Into A World, Zetsuen's episode where Aika shows up, etc. I'd keep an eye out for him. By the way, did you hear that there's been official Bones talk of maybe expanding AO? Apparently there was a poll on their facebook I missed a bit ago checking demand for a sequel, film, or other E7 project. Dunno how to feel about that haha. Dai Sato is probably super upset somewhere.

      ANYWAY. Ahem. Sunrise actually jumped on the bandwagon a while ago. You didn't seen the Code Geass OVA? SO much CGI, it burned. T-T

      Delete
    4. I actually haven't seen the OVA..*gets blasted out of space by CG fans* lol...Maybe I should watch it soon. T-T was it really? Dammmnn....

      And yeah I know, Yo Miura right? He directed some of the best AO episodes too. Looks like he's rising star in Bones' camp. I look forward to see more from him. Maybe he's contracted with the studio or something, because he hasn't worked on a single non-Bones work since he started working with them.

      I participated in that poll actually...>>..and voted for an AO sequel. There weren't a lot of options, it was either an AO sequel or something to do with the original Eureka Seven, which I'm also cool with. But in all honesty, I'll be quite worried if Bones dive in for another sequel judging by the makes-me-want-to-puke-2-liters-of-blood feedback. I haven't heard any official news yet...but if they do decide on it, i would think they are doing it to satiate their own creative appetite than after any commercial gain..Let's face it, AO didn't do as great as Bones would have hoped, and with a new sequel, I won't be surprised if it's a total flop number wise. lol..Dai Sato doesn't like revisiting old properties..>.<..he said that himself when he was asked about why he didn't join the AO team. But I don't think he minds too much?...xD since AO didn't technically ruin anything for the original.

      Delete
    5. It's okay, I prefer the original series anyway, though Akito the character is pretty good.

      Yeah, I'm definitely following whatever he does next because he's damn good. I did mention AO episodes, specifically, "Step Into A World", though I probably should assume most people don't know the names of the episodes... ._. Gomen.

      Ah nice. :3 I have this fangirl urge for more, but I'm also kind of anxious if they choose to keep expanding the franchise. I really really loved AO, but it was so hard to watch because everyone hated it so much; you couldn't say a single thing about how good a scene was or how great a character Ao was or anything without getting attacked.

      I know, he was pretty mad about Pocket ga Niji de Ippai, if I'm remembering correctly. And I can see why; stories need closure and he's of the idea that it's damaging to keep pandering to fans. I mean, people don't want E7 anymore, they want fanfiction about Renton and Eureka's every day life and so on. Stories about their grandchildren or whatever. The series wasn't meant to pander to fans like that, it was meant to be a work of art with a message.

      Anyway, I'll stop ranting now, haha.

      Delete
  2. I was a little iffy about watching this due to the CGI I saw in the trailer, but you've convinced me! Good review. I'm off to watch it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eka! Unfortunately the CGI problem is unlikely to go away anytime soon, but I thought it was enjoyable. Let me know if you agree or not. =)

      Delete
  3. Oh goodie, I'm glad you liked Valvrave. The ending was pretty bizarre and it'll be interesting to see what Okouchi-sensei has up his sleeve
    Looking forward to reading your posts :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like, it, haha. It was fun. =)

      Same to you, senpai. :3

      Delete