Monday, July 8, 2013

Overall Review: Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru

pic name pic name pic name
With a lead as snarky as Hikki, is it any surprise that this series became weirdly popular?

I'll say this for Oregairu; I have never seen a series approximate what it's really like to be a pessimistic and lonely teenager so accurately until now. I realize that I'm only one among a huge number of people who found themselves in Hachiman this season, but as one of those people, I can say quite clearly just how long I've been waiting for such a depiction. See, lonely characters in anime always tend to be seen as problem children, as people who should and will learn how to become more socially apt and gain friends along the way. Their pessimism is often looked at as erroneous and twisted, and they are made to change their views through interactions with others over time. While that's a nice message in some ways, in others it's woefully inadequate; adolescence is never that simple.

Hachiman really acts as a lens, as an angry point of view from which the rest of society can take a look at themselves and see how the loners aren't the only ones at fault. There are plenty of things the loners simply can't do that society takes for granted as something simple and easy, and there are times where those who are lonely really would rather be lonely than deal with all that stress. It's not about being sick, or being otherwise incapable; being yourself sometimes really is painfully less stressful than being a part of the pack. Yui and Yukino are other such examples of the issue at hand, but though they too are loners, Hachiman is the only loner without a real choice. Yui prefers trying to fit in, whereas Yukino is the sort of loner who is too proud to step down to the level of the rest, for better or for worse. Hachiman has some of this hubris too, but really there isn't much he can do because he's too awkward. But even so, what makes Hikki different is that he doesn't want to change. He simply wants to be himself, with friends or without; he's not angry at himself for being alone, which, I think, is a really refreshing way to look at this.

Regardless, if it weren't for Hikki, I'm not entirely sure Oregairu would have been as enjoyable as it was. Though the art can be a bit flawed (and I have a feeling that's intentional for the most part), there's also a lot of conventional details lurking in the background that make this feel like the romcom it pretends to be. Thankfully Hikki's perspective generally shatters those things, and we get to see lots of those conventions completely differently than usual. Cute imoutos stay perfectly platonic and frankly annoying little sisters; the trap is a legitimate love interest and character rather than a joke; problems are solved without anime-styled happy endings. It's that twist that really makes this series special, and that twist really is Hachiman himself, whether you identify with him or not.

pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name

2 comments:

  1. The title really said it all with this anime.

    As you'll, uh, know from my numerous ramblings about this subject on your blog and elsewhere, I really, really love OreGairu. And I agree with you that I think the art style here was intentionally not very beautiful, which is a really risky creative decision in the scheme of things. I'm glad they took the risks with this show, even if it came across as cheap and, to some extent, probably was.

    OreGairu succeeded for me so well because I think it was one of those types of shows that can be enjoyed on more than one level. I happened to enjoy it on a level where many, including you, seem to have rejected it - as a basic high school romcom. It's an inversion and a meta-aware take on many high school anime tropes, but at the same time it embraces those very tropes, so it's not really all that different from the usual. So while you might say that "the twist really is Hachiman himself" and without him the series would not have been as good, to me it's his presence that makes me realise I actually genuinely like the core of this genre without any subversion or irony. Seeing those tropes I love being examined in a different way is what makes it special, not OreGairu's attempt to be different in and of itself.

    Still, the fact that it had some merit at all to people who profess not to be a fan of the genre makes me think this anime did pretty well for itself. So I'm glad you did find Hachiman easy to identify with even if the core of the series itself is not nominally your cup of tea!

    So yes, this might come as a surprise to you after I've praised the anime so much, but I actually don't relate to Hachiman's worldview very much at all. While I think everyone can understand how it feels to be lonely or misunderstood, I'm a much more openly optimistic person than Hachiman will ever be and often found myself sympathising much more with Yui and Hayama's philosophies. I'm glad that the series never portrayed Hachiman's views as right (or, for that matter, like you mentioned - as wrong) because I don't think there is ever a "right" way to do social interactions.

    Could this idea have been taken further? I think it could have. I think if this anime had been really, honestly prepared to make a serious exploration of teenage interaction and loneliness, it could have done more than wrap up the story as a fascinating but ultimately incomplete character study of a single person. I hope to see more of this series because it's laid the foundations for something special, but the plot of what we've seen in the anime has played it too safe.

    So I agree with your final prognosis of this series: it's a good take on a well-worn genre, but to stand among the upper echelons of anime itself is a bit much to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting that you're taking the inverse of this, in terms of seeing a romcom with a snarky lead rather than a snarky lead with a romcom wrapper. I don't dislike romcoms; in fact, I watch quite a lot. I just like seeing a fresh take on a genre I know well, and I like that a lot of those overly sentimental tropes in such shows get turned on their head courtesy of Hikki's twisted perspective. Not that there's anything wrong with being optimistic and pleasant in social interactions, but my personal experiences with people have rather made me into a Hachiman-esque sort of person over my years. Things rarely happen as clean cut and pleasantly as Yui and Hayama might hope; you might make up with a friend after a nasty fight, but often that leaves a scar on your relationship and makes things uncomfortable for one party, for example. Or forcing a class of girls to be friends with the loner rarely helps make the loner feel genuinely included (if not the butt of cruelty in some cases). Not that this is the way things ALWAYS go, but sometimes that's just the way they are. And that's what I like about Hikki and Oregairu as a whole; they're not just sticking to those naive ideals, but also talking about complicated problems without sugary-sweet or occasionally unrealistic answers. Humans, and particularly teenagers, make things too complicated after all. Or at least, that's what my rather pessimist view of things has shown me over the years, and why I identify with Hachiman. I like that Hikki didn't change; he is what he is, and I like that he was comfortable with that awkward part of himself, rather than changed through some far too convenient method.

      Not entirely sure what I just said, it is 1 AM and I'm starving. @_@ I hope that made at least a little sense!

      Delete