Friday, July 5, 2013

Anime Expo 2013

My first visit to a con went by all too quickly.

Though AX has two days left, I unfortunately was only able to attend one day this year. Nine and a half hours and a pair of jelly legs later, I have to say I rather regret that despite being sorer than I ever remember in my life. I had a lot of fun, even though my friend and I were completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff to do and see and walked way more than we would have otherwise. I bought myself some beautiful Yuumei prints (signed, sweet Hylia) which are definitely going on my dorm wall this year, and I hung out with Xumbra-senpai for a good portion of the day too. We met Takaii-senpai for a quick minute but unfortunately my friend and I were too beat to stick around for a longer hang out.

My favorite part was watching all the cosplayers and hanging out in the exhibition hall. I'm about as creative as a sack of bolts, so it amazes and delights me seeing all these people proudly display their hard work and love for anime in their costumes. Interestingly, more than half were probably made up of Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan cosplayers, but I still enjoyed seeing all the little different details on different people's clothes (and contrary to Xumbra-senpai's belief that no such people exist, I did find a Suguha cosplayer!).

My absolute favorite ones consisted of a particularly amazing Alphonse and Edward Elric pair (so lovingly created that the armor clinked when Al walked) as well as a hugely wonderful Eva (whose cosplayer wore stilts to stride high above the crowd, looking very much like a good representation of a large mecha) and several Hataraku cosplays (finding Emi's made me particularly happy). Unfortunately I wasn't able to get as many pictures as I liked (and the Eva and Elric kyoudai passed by far too quickly for me to get shots), but I did note a lack of Valvrave fanfare in general, which is a shame as I would have loved to see an L-Elf cosplay, and Eureka Seven was cruelly absent from most of the exhibition hall, save for a couple of cosplayers I spotted from afar and some sparse fanart. However, I did find some early interest in Servant x Service (and Brocage too, on a completely unrelated note) which made my day, and there was plenty of stuff to look at and fawn over in general. Hopefully next year I will return with more time and money in my pockets and maybe I'll start that L-Elf cosplay wave we all secretly want to happen.

If I took your picture and you wish to see it taken down or credited (I sometimes forgot to ask if it was okay to post it, and I'm not sure which ones they were, gomenasai), by all means please contact me. I don't wish to disrespect all your hard work and dedication, after all!

2 comments:

  1. So it seems that your anime convention virginity has been taken? :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I had to rephrase a good deal of this post because I knew someone was going to say that. =p

      Delete