Tuesday, June 11, 2013

RDG: Red Data Girl - 12 [End]

"The World Heritage Girl"

Considering I just rushed to buy the novels, I think RDG did pretty damn great for itself, against all the odds.

It's been a long time since I watched a show that confused me without the express intent to do so. But even so, I don't think that's necessarily a negative mark in this series' favor. Confusing or not, Red Data Girl has consistently been nothing short of beautiful, especially when it comes to the atmosphere. That it ended strangely and without any real feeling that it should have ended isn't really as shocking as it would be from a different kind of show, and that's okay. We're not dealing with the conventional here, and we never really were. And we have to take into account the fact that this is an adaptation based on multiple novels, and only a one cour one at that. Things were bound to be rushed, and that's fine too. In the end, the question I really have to ask myself is, "did I enjoy this anime?" and really, the answer is simple; I enjoyed it a whole lot more than I ever expected to.

I won't pretend to know what happened with all the Himegami stuff or what it all really meant; the World Heritage Candidate remains to me as mysterious as ever and I have absolutely no clue how the whole contest worked and what it signifies either. I still have doubts as to the Goddess's identity as well; Izumiko claims she is the Goddess, so what did the Goddess mean by saying she time traveled and destroyed humanity countless times? Doesn't Izumiko accept her role exactly as the Himegami warned Miyuki she must not do? Or does she reject that identity by choosing to be with him? A great deal of the finale is difficult to interpret, but most of all I'm confused by all the Hachiouji ghosts. I could have sworn that the Himegami was the Lady behind the mass suicides of all the women at the castle, but even that was never properly addressed.

Even so, I'm happy with this series because it was really a pleasure to watch, even when I was more than a little lost in what was happening and why. The sequences of the otherworldly, the attention to detail, the music, and the subtle character interactions all more than made up for the unfortunate rushing of the main plot, and that's just as evident in the final episode as it has been all along. Note, for example, Miyuki's struggle; this is really a battle of wills, of Miyuki coming to terms with his own feelings and resolve in order to reach Izumiko. As Wamiya warns him, his strength is only indicative of how much he believes in what he's doing, and it's only once he admits that he must be at Izumiko's side that he's finally able to break through it all. The same goes for Izumiko herself; it's in the moments of self-reflection and coming to terms with oneself that the two of them finally break free of the restraints keeping them apart all this time, both self and externally imposed. And because it's such a personal thing, it's all the more touching to watch it end with the simplicity of holding hands and leaning into each other the way they were never allowed to do before.

N.B.: Thanks to Ivan for the caps!

2 comments:

  1. I could not get enough of that adorable puppy version of Takayanagi! He should have totally stayed liked that :)

    But overall, I really enjoyed RDG, which is funny because I was not expecting to even pick it up at the beginning of the season. Like a lot of viewers, I didn't really understand what was going on with the whole mythology stuff, but I was invested enough in the characters that I cared what happened to them. I really do wish this was a 2-cour series, so that we could find out more about Izumiko being the Goddess (is she going to destroy the world...is she not going to? What happens to Masumi/Mayura/Manatsu). But like Enzo and you said, guess we just have to go pick up the novels! xD

    The ending with Miyuki and Izumiko was so adorable---I was so happy when he was like "I need you to tell me you need me." OMG. What girl wouldn't want to hear that from her man? *___* I loved how their relationship blossomed--it seemed genuine and not forced (nor overly cheesy). Kind of reminds me of Kai and Aki's relationship from Robotics:Notes. :)

    Thanks for covering this, Kairi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was kind of amusingly adorable. xD

      Exactly, it wasn't really a show about understanding what was going on so much as it was about reveling in characterization and atmosphere. It would have been nice to have it less rushed, but unfortunately the industry does 1 cour staples nowadays instead of the two+ I remember. Too bad the novels aren't translated, as far as I know. It would be nice to get them in English, since Japanese is harder for me to relax with, seeing as I don't know nearly enough Kanji to read fluently. T-T

      It was pretty satisfying, though I'm not exactly the right girl to agree with you. xD It did feel very natural though, you're right. They didn't have to deal with all the shoujo romance fluff that starts getting old very fast.

      Not at all, thanks for dropping by and enjoying it!

      Delete