Monday, June 10, 2013

Kotonoha no Niwa

I don't think I've ever seen a movie animated quite this beautifully before; and that's saying something.

I love Makoto Shinkai. I really do. His works are always flat out gorgeous in terms of animation and sentimentality, and it's almost impossible for me to watch one of his films without feeling completely overwhelmed by the utterly human emotion of it all. There's just something very real about his work, very reflective on what it's like to be human, what it's like to feel things and not being able to really come to terms with that. Even his least appreciated film (and most Ghibli of them all), Children Who Chase Lost Voices, struck me very powerfully and as very stark when I first watched it. And really, Shinkai is all about details. He's about the beauty of the human experience, about the importance of an emotion or thought, about the beauty in the world around us, whether that's in a piece of breathtakingly animated chalk or the motion of rain.

But as beautiful as his films are, I always feel somewhat empty when I finish one, though not necessarily as a negative reaction. While Shinkai's attention to detail is very beautiful, I suppose once in a while it falls a bit into the dull, and occasionally when I watch his films I start finding it hard to really stay focused on the people beyond their overbearingly powerful emotions. That realism about his characters and their situations can make it a bit difficult to watch an entire film on them; they are too real, too touching, and it's almost painful (if not outright so) to see those emotions portrayed so lovingly and so matter-of-factly on screen. So much of the works are always spent in reflection, so when the film is over, trying to wrap your head around the question "what was this movie about?" is much tougher than it would be with a director like Hosada Mamoru or Hayao Miyazaki.

So I can understand both sides of the conversation around Shinkai. I can see the unmatched beauty that his films present, and the gorgeous, profound depth of his characters. I can understand the themes he's praised for, and the stark realism his endings often present us with. But I can also see why some don't elevate him to the level of Miyazaki, or otherwise call his work boring or unfulfilling. Even so, I still love his films, and I think Kotonoha no Niwa is among the best I've ever seen, Shinkai or otherwise. You don't need an epic journey or even a grand exploration of self to tell a wonderful story, and every moment of Garden of Words is really as beautiful and profound as the simple beauty we find in falling rain, especially rain animated this gorgeously.

Akizuki Takao (Miyu Irino) and Yukino Yukari (Hanazawa Kana) are a mismatched pair; one a young boy with an old-fashioned way of thinking and a strange goal, to become a shoemaker, and the other a depressed adult woman with little in the way of dreams or happiness. The two of them complete each other in the simplicity of their accidental meeting and subsequent friendship, and they find what they're looking for in that which seems so mysterious about the other. For Takao, Yukino is the very "secret" of adulthood, that mysterious place he feels he belongs in more than his "childish realities" on the days when it doesn't rain. She allures him the way his love of shoes does, appeals to that old-fashioned and adult taste of his that causes him to feel lonely in the everyday world. Rainy days for him are days when he gets to escape that loneliness and be with this woman, to reach into that untouchable world more clearly than ever.

Nothing, however, is ever as simple as it looks from an outside perspective. Yukino is hardly as mysterious as Takao believes her to be, and her seeming eccentricity stems from her own sense of feeling lost in the world. She's an adult but feels as helpless as a child, and notes that she's no more knowledgeable or intelligent as she was at Takao's age. She, like he, doesn't fit in, but unlike her much more impressionable counterpart, Yukino has lost her hopes and dreams. Takao comes into the relationship hoping; she comes into it despairing. It's for this reason that the catharsis at the end is so powerful; though Takao does the talking and Yukino leaves as promised, she finally understands what it is she wants and regains some of that hope he already possessed so much of. The moment of finally reaching out to him and talking to him about her pain is what saves her, and it makes Takao's final words about walking forward all the much more poignant for it.

N.B.: Thanks to Ivan for the gorgeous caps!

12 comments:

  1. His films are sentimental alright. A little too sentimental for my liking. I thought his first one, Hoshi no Koe wasn't bad though. Unfortunately many people give him a free pass because all the visual detail, he didn't have that crutch in the early days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see where it can be kind of not to some tastes, and sometimes I feel like yeah, there's far too little happening here, but I still enjoy his films. Even in the old days I could appreciate the kind of thing he was aiming for, and the detail kind of gives him a more visceral way to express it. Shinkai is more of an artist than a director, in that he's more interested in painting an emotional response than in telling a story.

      Delete
    2. It's sort of depressing though when you realise you're in the minority. It seems to me that people are too eager to dish out 10/10 scores purely based on visual aspects alone, which to me comes across as exceedingly shallow.

      Delete
    3. No one is saying his films are only about the visuals though, at least not here. Though it can be a bit overwhelming, I enjoy his films for the sentimentalism too. It's not to everyone's taste, but for me it works quite well, and the visuals help him express that. When I use the term artist, I'm not speaking solely about visuals. It's his work as a whole, including the ideas expressed in that. His ideas just happen to be very simple and concise, though that gets a bit lost in all the meandering of his reflections sometimes. I wouldn't make myself miserable about being in a minority though; it's unpleasant, and it's a subjective opinion so anyone can feel however they want about something. It's not really about shallowness, maybe someone else just sees something different in the same thing. Being in multiple literal minorities my whole life has taught me to look at things like that.

      Delete
  2. Is this also a melancholic one like his previous titles? It certainly seams beautiful. But, melancholy isn't my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tad melancholic, but more hopeful than his other works I feel. Still, if endings like that of 5 Centimeters Per Second were too melancholic for you, this might not be for you.

      Delete
    2. I see. Yep, it was a tad bit melancholic for my taste. I have to get over it somehow, because it looks like I'm missing over big time.

      Thanks for the reply, Kairi. Maybe I'll give it a go, just to look at those visuals. Those are absolutely stunning. How more beautiful can it get???

      http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r744/limitofquestions2/KotonohanoNiwa-1-Large09.png

      http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r744/limitofquestions2/KotonohanoNiwa-1-Large02.png

      http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r744/limitofquestions2/KotonohanoNiwa-2-Large13.png

      I don't know. I just don't know how to describe it other than to say it's stunning beautiful.

      Delete
    3. It's not as melancholic as 5Cm/S, but it isn't exactly a happy ending either.

      Not at all, it's a seriously gorgeous film, I really don't think I've seen another movie animated that beautifully.

      Delete
  3. I just watched it! It is indeed beautiful beyond what words can convey. Really, I'm quite speechless. I may like this one better than 5CPS, for the reason that the characters seem more like people to me. In his other films, they tend to become incarnation of emotions than individual personalities.

    What makes me so grateful is precisely how different Shinkai is from Miyazaki and Hosoda. Actually, they all have such distinct style it's never really fair to compare between them. I love Miyazaki for his ability to capture childlike wonder and rekindle a sense of curiosity in his audience. I love Hosoda for his quirkiness and sentimental human touch. I love Shinkai for his poetic vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do prefer it to 5Cm/S, since that one bored me a bit in the last two parts.

      I can really appreciate how different Shinkai is, but I can understand why he's not everyone's cup of tea because of it. You're right though, they're all wonderful in their own ways.

      Delete
    2. The guy must've had a very melancholic high school life. lol

      Delete
    3. Maybe, or maybe he just sees things differently. Who knows?

      Delete