Monday, June 10, 2013

Hataraku Maou-sama! - 10

"The Devil and the Hero Take a Break from the Daily Routine"

Can I just appreciate Emi’s color scheme? Reds, greens, and now that pretty blue color on her bikini? Now I think about it, the colors just might be what I like about her so much… Nah, it’s the faces. Definitely the faces.

Alright, so I don't know if I've made this impression or not, but I actually like fanservice. Now, I'm not an ardent lover of the technique and I tend to look down on it when used in certain ways (*cough*Gargantia*cough*), but I don't think fanservice itself as a concept is necessarily a bad thing; what I would like is equality in usage of the technique, in the messages it sends, and integrating it so it's not such an obvious pan for attention, but while some of that can occasionally lack, it's all fine as long as it's classy. And I'm talking about both male and female oriented fanservice, as well as that oriented toward the LGBQ spectrum; fanservice in general as it is. So what makes classy fanservice different from crass? Why am I not ranting against the depiction of women in Hataraku when I so clearly had an issue with the fanservice in Gargantia?

Let's face it, fanservice is fanservice, and no matter what, sexuality is the idea at its core. These girls are not prancing around in bikinis for the sake of any real plot and we all know it. But stop for a minute and think about the way Chi, Emi, and Suzuno are depicted. They're not shown as body parts so much as women with those body parts intact; the camera never stops to stare lecherously at a shaking ass or ignores the rest of their bodies for the sake of spending extra time turning the women into stand-ins for breasts and hips. The girls are appreciated as people here, as girls with different personalities and tastes, spending a day out together and being panned over as fanservice camera is bound to do here and there. There isn't anyone staring at them other than ourselves; the beach goers aren't salivating over them as if they were pieces of meat, nor are they wearing their clothes as a means to please anyone. Sadao, aware as he is about Chiho's feelings, tactfully respects them and says nothing about her looks so as not to give her any false hopes about their relationship; never does he lose his head and start ogling at Emi and the others. This is what's classy; Hataraku knows it's doling out a fanservice episode, and it's not going to pretend otherwise. And in acknowledging that this is indeed a fanservice episode, it does us all a favor and delivers it with style and without any real issues.

But somewhat, slightly, feminist rant aside, even a beach episode seems to be fair game for this series to show what it's made of. I'm not joking when I say that Emi's color palette is gorgeous, and hugely pleasing to the eye, and she's not the only one. Even I can appreciate pretty art decisions in terms of fanservice, and huge breasts aside (witty metaphors included), all three of the girls just look very nice. It's crisp art as always, and the "plot" of the episode is interesting too, wandering though it is. Suzuno's suspicions of Maou are hardly about to go away after what she's seen; unlike Emi, she's having a much harder time coming to terms with the fact that Sadao really is just a nice guy looking out for his future subjects, and even the appearance of James as an angel (he is an angel, I presume) probably has done little to allay her suspicions. I've no doubt she's behind making Ashiya as sick as he has been lately, but it's only a matter of time until she sees the truth. It might take quite a bit before that, especially as she seems to be losing trust in Emi now that she's noticed how much she backs him up.

8 comments:

  1. I can't help but think Chiho's bra is too small. It's distracting for me. I can't help but stare and feel sorry for her. Or maybe I'm just being a pervert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No actually, I did think it was pretty small too. xD Like, she HAS to be uncomfortable in that. I would definitely be.

      Delete
  2. Lot's of laugh! As expected from Hataraku Maou-sama.
    I wonder if Suzuno will team up with James.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the ability of this series to be funny no matter what. I look forward to Thursday because of it.

      I dunno, she might. Though I'm curious as to where James came from and who's orders he's following. Is he from the Church too?

      And where's our lovely Miki-T anyway?

      Delete
    2. Miki-T is doing swimsuit espionage work back in Ente Isla :D. She's unstoppable.

      K.S.

      Delete
    3. Haha, it'd be nice to see her back at least once before the series ends.

      Delete
  3. Called it, i knew that James attached to Ente Isle. Now it wouldn't surprise me that James being an angel (Lucifer was an ex-angel and had feather wings unlike Ashiya and Maou whom have leather wings) was actually not working for the Church. As an angel, if James wanted to he could probably crush Maou instantly, since Maou's energy is depleted and hard to gather.

    I think James is trying to study Maou to see his true intentions and see where he's going. In all actuality, James may end up teaming with Maou for something important later in the series.

    But I agree with you, Kairi, on your fanservice review here. While the episode was fanservice, it was tasteful and classy fanservice, that live up to the respect of the show thus far. The swimwear the girls were wearing really stood along considerably well with their personality. Even the part where Emi sees Chi's swim outfit for the first time and Chi's boob bounce (which was done without the standard extreme cleavage zoom-in), it was all as a device to make Emi more self-conscious of herself (which is good because since Ep. 1, Emi's ego has been higher than most comic book supervillians. So anything to crush her ego makes her a more relate-able and understanding character)

    But there is always somewhere in each episode that makes me laugh hard as ever. And this episode was no exception and seeing Suzuno's face when Maou uses the negative energy to save the people from the croco-gaters instead of making the situation worse for energy harvesting, was perfect.

    K.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt Emi would allow such Maou-crushing, seeing as she's also an Angel (half anyway) and has been storing power for emergencies using Holy Vitamin Beta. I don't think James is benign either, seeing as he attacked Emi (now I think about it, why Emi, but never Sadao?), assuming the attacker was him. Perhaps his target isn't the Demon Lord at all; he's only shown himself in situations were Emi was present.

      Exactly, the fanservice definitely exists, and for a purpose, but it never makes snide messages about the girls themselves or otherwise really degrades them the way less classy fanservice has done in other series. It knows what it's doing, knows what it wants to accomplish, and it does it. And it does it without losing the element of what makes Hataraku special; it's not out of left field at all.

      The breast metaphors, the deadpan faces, Suzuno's reactions, all of it was pretty damn great as usual. As always, I look forward to more next Thursday.

      Delete