Sunday, June 30, 2013

Overall Review: Kakumeiki Valvrave

pic name pic name pic name
You know that series you love to hate? Well this is the series I hate myself for loving.

I started Valvrave with one thought in mind: any mecha with Code Geass pedigree was probably something I wanted to watch. I really enjoyed the latter series in my younger days, and though I don't consider it among my masterpiece list or even close, I have seen it multiple times and loved the ludicrousness of it all each watch-through. See, I like craziness, when done with the right touch, and there are plenty of series I've enjoyed for the pure entertainment factor. There's nothing like a good over-the-top story when you're looking for something interesting, and Code Geass is just that. That being the case, Valvrave looked perfect for me, and it was one of the series I anticipated most this season. Twelve weeks later, I have to say I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

When I look back on this season, Valvrave is undoubtedly the series I'd nominate for trainwreck. It's ridiculous, it's silly, and it's been horribly mysterious about its mythos, so much so that most things seem to happen at random, though the series does hint at some greater truth some ways away. Yet despite that, I always managed to enjoy this show, and up until episode 10, everything was perfectly fun with no strings attached. Even after episode 10, I was heavily invested in wanting to know what happened next, and though I personally had issues with the rape scene, I never really thought it shouldn't have been included. Portrayed differently, yes, but not removed. Like much of the rest of the series, Valvrave in general revolves around shock factor and the extreme, and though it travels into darker territory by the last three episodes, it doesn't really lose its flavoring as such.

However, I don't want to make Valvrave out to be "that series with a rape scene". For all the impact that episode had on the overall narrative, there's plenty of other things that make the series worth watching, even if the rape scene does color your perspective somewhat later. To start with, as a mecha/action series, Valvrave is exactly what fans of classic mecha have been missing in recent years. While the CGI takes some getting used to, this is Sunrise, and there's plenty of action to fawn over. In fact, the series is so Sunrise that it's essentially an amalgam of every mecha series ever created, especially when it comes to those from the same studio. It's no coincidence that I mention Code Geass extensively, and not just because both series share a great deal of the same staff. In some ways, they're very much the same show, though Valvrave takes from many other series as well. That's garnered the series a lot of criticism since it premiered, and I can understand that; however, I don't really think that's a bad thing. There's no such thing as a completely new idea, after all, and while this anime is more obvious about it, it's not as if other series don't constantly borrow from each other. In terms of this show, that's just what makes it Valvrave, and I'm okay with that.

On another note, I enjoy the characters. I've beaten my issues with Saki to death, and while I don't like her portrayal as of late, I do appreciate that she's acted out well. That's no surprise, considering this is Tomatsu Haruka we're talking about, but even so, Saki is the outlier in a season full of interesting personas. L-Elf comes to mind as my favorite character here, as every scene he's in is magically better (by sheer power of ridiculousness; may I remind you of the screw?), though Haruto interestingly wears the mecha hero insignia a bit differently than most. To be honest, he's reminded me strongly of Ao Fukai in Astral Ocean, one of my favorite characters of all time, and that's always a good thing, though Haruto isn't quite up to that caliber. The thing is, Haruto is as Valvrave as they come. He's naive, he says crazy things, he does ridiculous things, but he does them all a certain way. He's a genuinely nice person who wants to help everyone out, and because of it, he carries a lot of that mecha-hero guilt we're used to seeing in protagonists like this. What makes him different, however, is how he deals with that. Unlike the classic self-hating shounen hero who curses his mistakes, Haruto knows when it's time to drop the self-pity and get things done. After discovering he's become an immortal vampire, he despairs for almost no time at all before realizing he has a duty to help his fellow students, and even after realizing that he's raped Saki while possessed, he wastes no time before trying to take responsibility, rather than feeling sorry for himself for a whole episode or two. It's a nice change to see that mixed in with the usual formula, and really, most of the characters here are similar cases. They're that character you know, but with a Valvrave spin.

In all honesty though, I don't have a solid reason for why I love this show. I just do; it's entertaining, it's fun, it's ridiculous and interesting, and even when it goes places I don't like as much, it's kept me solidly hooked without fail. I want very much to say that I don't like being toyed with, as the finale does with it's painfully cruel cliffhanger of an ending, but that I'm excited as I am for the second season in the Fall says a lot about the series. Whatever it's doing, it's doing something right, and though I can't really explain it, I want very much to know what's going to happen next. And honestly, at this point, I think I might just prefer Valvrave over its spiritual predecessor. Who knew?

pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name

8 comments:

  1. I (tenatively) prefer Valvrave over Code Geass- it all depends on if Season 2 of VVV can meet my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valid point, but so far I think I definitely prefer it to CG.

      Delete
  2. No way, Code Geass is still the best. The difference is that Valvrave never had a strong thematic core to tie all the antics together - Code Geass did. That's why CG can be appreciated on an intellectual as well as a visceral and a "hahaha that's so over-the-top" level. Valvrave can only really be appreciated for its sense of style, but yes I would agree that it's even more stylish than Code Geass was, if you're into that kind of thing.

    That's not to say I didn't like Valvrave at all because I did - and very much. I just don't think it has the rewatchability factor or the mainstream appeal that Code Geass has. Valvrave tried to be a show that has something for everyone, but in the end, it only managed to please those with very specific expectations for what they thought was fun in an anime. It excluded too much of its potential audience not only with that infamous episode 10 but also in general by not really distinguishing whether it was a serious show played ridiculously or a ridiculous show played seriously.

    Whatever it was trying to be, it was entertaining for a good deal of its run, but on those grounds I would never call it a great anime. I also felt it was very sensationalist and exploitative at times. I liked it, but it will never be as memorable as Code Geass.

    But whatever, who really gives a shit? Haruto x L-Elf ftw lolololol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno man, I personally find it a lot more interesting than Code Geass, and I've seen that at least three times. I'm rewatching Valvrave tonight with a friend and I still like it just as much as the first time (and some of it better than before; believe it or not I'm picking up clues I missed). I guess it's a taste thing. I personally didn't think Code Geass was as intellectual as it tried to be, it was just a really cool watch. It was kinda like Death Note for me; interesting as hell but it wasn't quite as smart as it wanted to be (though I prefer CG over the latter any day). Nah, I think the issue is more this: people have been spoiled to hell in the last few years. Think about it, Valvrave is pretty old school; it's what a lot of mecha used to be without having to please anyone. It's a weird, wtf show with a ton of flair, shock factor, and general who-cares-if-any-of-this-makes-sense. And pretty much all of it has been done before, even the rape and all that drama, especially when it comes to Sunrise. But I feel like in this day and age that kind of story doesn't fly quite as well as it used to. People want stuff to be more subtle (most of the time) and they don't like all this weird shit happening in their anime because the industry has changed so much. Even since Code Geass, which was back in 2006, I've seen trends change like crazy, and mecha like this (and a similar case can be made for Ginga Kikoutai, though that's way more low key) isn't really taken as seriously anymore, except by specific audiences. So it doesn't help that the series is so over the top either, since it doesn't help make people take it more seriously as it is. In an older day, this was just what the bulk of anime was about, crazy robot battles and mindfuckery. Today, anime isn't really defined by that sort of thing anymore.

      Delete
    2. I agree with a lot of your points, but I'll stick to my guns when it comes to Code Geass. I wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination call it "smart" but it always made itself very clear about what Lelouch and the other main characters were fighting for. That's what Valvrave lacks - something that drives all the characters and makes them memorable in their own right, rather than just interesting spins on familiar archetypes. At the end of the day, you don't come out knowing the reason for any of this conflict or why any of it is important. I'm sure you would get something out of rewatching Valvrave, but the overall themes aren't nearly as prevalent as they were in Code Geass and when you sit down and analyse their narrative structures, the latter is a lot clearer about what it set out to achieve.

      Don't think I'm dissing Valvrave or mindlessly fanboying Code Geass here! I still enjoyed Valvrave in the spirit that it was made and from just watching the anime, I'd say both are of equal entertainment value. I just think it's clear from the critical response that one anime is more accessible on more levels than the other.

      Though the question of whether Code Geass has aged well would make an interesting discussion in its own right...

      Delete
    3. Clear yeah, but Code Geass also had double the run time of Valvrave (another industry change I lament heavily). It had more time to dabble in motives and characters and such, and it had so much time to tell itself that it even felt a bit TOO long by second season. I don't think saying that Valvrave characters lack motive is particularly true though. Sure, they're not Lelouch-level masterminds (cept maybe L-Elf, who's too mysterious so far to get into), but there's still motivation, simple though it is. They wanna survive and be independent, and in the shadows there's way more complicated stuff waiting to brew. Keep in mind that you're also talking about a series you've already ended and know all the mysteries for. I remember thinking CG was a mindfuckery if I ever saw one the first time around, and it took me two viewings to get things down. It's not like I hate CG either; It's one of the few shows I've seen multiple times and it was really fun, but I think overall I just like Valvrave better. Even if they did butcher Saki's character by the end, all my feminist-ish rants included.

      As to whether it's aged well... I'm not entirely sure. I enjoyed it last time, but I have older tastes in general and love nostalgia trips. I have no idea what a recent anime fan would think.

      Delete
  3. Nostalgia? Did someone mention Legend of the Galactic Heroes??? No?

    A great crime has been committed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Code Geass did'nt have much style.Valvrave did. But if you compare the Story line and dept of the plots, Code Geass is way over Val. No offense to Val lovers. Everyone has different ideals. :D

    ReplyDelete