Friday, February 8, 2013

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - 17

pic name pic name pic name
"Valentine's is a Day For Chocolate"

Holy hell, that's a copy of The Sleepy Residents of Birdcage Manor on that desk! Mashiro, you have good taste in shoujo manga.

Ever since Nanami started getting more attention, I had a slightly bad feeling about it all. Of course, at the time I thought she had no chance in hell, but with every episode since she's been making room for herself and hurting Sorata and Mashiro's budding relationship in the process. Of course Nanami herself isn't really my problem with the series at the moment. She has every right to like Sorata and do what she wants about it, but Sorata is clearly getting inclinations that maybe he's not imagining her feelings while remaining completely oblivious about Mashiro's. I don't get how anyone can be blind to one but not the other, especially when one of them has been blatantly obvious and the other one more subtle. The fact that he helped Nanami in her moment of need was really nice (though she would have been much smarter had she gone early in the first place), of course, but he could have just let Miyahara get the glory and the girl after finding out about his feelings. That would have been a really nice push for his friend (and much more efficient than both of them going together on one bike), even if Miyahara got rejected, and then he wouldn't have been letting Nanami or Mashiro down. But at least he got some good guy points regardless, and Miyahara at least didn't want to push his feelings on Nanami, which is really mature of him.

Maybe it's just me, but I just feel that Sorata is very inconsistent lately. He admits to looking forward to getting chocolate from Shiina, for example, but when it really counts he doesn't even know why and gets flustered about the thought that maybe Nanami likes him. Sure it's flattering to find out someone might like you, but Mashiro likes you too, dimwit, and you're ignoring her for all she's worth. This doesn't even count as friendzoning, like Eita is doing with Chiwa in Oreshura (though Eita's not much better); Sorata obviously likes Mashiro, but he's being outright stupid about it all. It's just infuriating for me to watch, really, and I'm reminded of the very annoying love triangle that Shakugan no Shana II left off on (the fact that this is pretty much the only thing I remember about that series goes to show that it bothered me a lot). If Sakurasou even considers ending that way, I swear I will break something.

I think I've gotten to the point where I might have outgrown the confession part of an anime romance though; I like seeing my couples get together without too much fuss and seeing the development between them rather than the overcoming of obstacles like rivals. But that's just me, and I'm sure that the anxiety about which girl wins out is of interest to lots of other fans. Technically it's of interest to me too, but it's too obvious that Mashiro will win so instead of being suspenseful, the plot feels like it's dragging out. I'm sure there's some way to pull this off more credibly, but whatever it is, Sakurasou isn't doing it.

The other couples of interest aren't behaving too naturally either. In the case of Ryuunosuke and Rita, I can kind of understand that he's overwhelmed by her, but making her waste her whole precious day waiting for him to stop being stubborn is pretty selfish. It must have been expensive to book a flight to Japan just for a few hours, and even worse, those hours were specifically for him, and Ryuunosuke knew it. She was pushy, sure, but instead of a avoiding her he should have done something about it. He was kind of a jerk, really.

But when it comes to jerks in this series, no one beats Jin. The guy continues to have a stick up his ass, and why he couldn't be bothered to receive chocolate from Misaki is a mystery. Maybe he felt that going to school when he could be studying instead would be a waste, but he should have at least told her his reasoning so that she wouldn't have waited for him. His whole ideal about their relationship still feels off to me, and honestly I can't see what Misaki sees in him. He's being a total asshat toward her, and he's completely right about not deserving her, though not for the reasons he thinks.

At the very least, Mashiro and Sorata took a step forward in being equals this week, since Sorata finally realized that while he has a complex about her being so much more talented than he is, Mashiro has a complex about being too far ahead of everyone else. It's lonely to be a genius, after all; how do you relate to those who aren't as advanced as you are? Perhaps it took Sorata a bit long to get to this point, but progress is progress I suppose. I can only hope that Nanami will stop getting in the way sooner than later, though with just seven episodes left, it's possible that this will end up a last minute decision between both girls.

One last remark; it goes to show just how much anime has taken over your life when something perfectly normal in your own culture, such as a kiss on the cheek, starts to feel off. I was fairly surprised at seeing this here when I really had no reason to be. After all, I kiss my friends all the time!

pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name

No comments:

Post a Comment