Saturday, February 2, 2013

Maoyū Maō Yūsha - 5

pic name pic name pic name
"'You Smell Good, Maou.' 'And I Feel Safe in Your Arms, Yuusha.'"

That's right Yuusha, always follow the money. And for the love of Hylia, just kiss her already!

Okay, so I'm a big sucker for medieval-inspired music, and I also tend to have little resistance to well-matched pairings, even when they're being downright impossible. Obviously I was going to have a problem with the last few minutes of this episode and I did; it was a really nice scene watching Maou and Yuusha dance together after a year apart, but I can't help but want to be like Maou and smack both of them with a pillow. So what if the music ended? That was a golden opportunity, and they missed it, and now Yuusha's off to the battlefront once more. But oh well, no use crying over spilled heart potion (this anime just brings out the gamer in me, I apologize for the bad puns). At least their reunion was amusing, though hardly original. I chuckled at Maou's righteous indignation and died at Yuusha's textbook expression of having been betrayed (that's what I look like when professors lie about homework loads). Sometimes it's just nice to see official pairings being pushed together, but I wish this one weren't so ridiculously careful. Does the phrase practically married mean anything to you, Maou?! Yuusha?!

Anyway... most of the episode was actually dedicated to the war on several fronts. For one thing, the Winter King and Prince are getting financial support from Maou and the Alliance, but it's not enough to help them elude the idiotic White Night King's orders to battle. In the midst of an ambush (release the Kraken! *ahem*), the Winter King loses his life to protect the White Night King and six thousand soldiers die along with him. Yet the surviving King has the gall to proclaim that they'll simply build new boats and that the Winter King's sacrifice means nothing to him, only proving himself more of an idiot than he already was and as cruel-hearted as any demon is famed to be. However, we also learn that demons, even the less humanoid ones, aren't much different from humans and that they too suffer at the hands of their oppressors.

The occupation by humans of Gate City is a problem, and as Yuusha found out, the solution isn't as simple as beating up and kicking the occupants out. Those people, like the demons, have built lives there, and using force to extricate them will only cause further tensions among them. However, the humans are treating the demons like any dominating army does their subjects: they rape the women and bully the weak, and they must be removed somehow. Taking a leaf out of Maou's book, Yuusha sets a plan in motion, but for the time being we have no inclination of what that plan may be, nor of how close Yuusha is to finding the Mage he set out to find in the first place.

I like this series, I really do, but Maou and Yuusha are all but driving me insane. I'm not fooled a moment by Kishi's declaration of rivalry over Yuusha's affections, and I doubt anyone is, so while the friendship between her and Maou was refreshing to watch, I just wish Yuusha would make things clear with Maou so that Kishi can give up with dignity. I'm looking forward to seeing her in battle, though. It's not everyday that a nun becomes a soldier.

pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name

No comments:

Post a Comment