Sunday, October 27, 2013

Galilei Donna - 2

"Messier"

I hope you like your explosions with 80% more mecha and gunfire.

I’m still not exactly sure where Galilei Donna wants to go with all it’s untapped potential, but I do think we’re in for something of a travelogue meets historical mystery, a story about three sisters all alone in the world with nothing but their goldfish mecha (now named Galileo) and a seeming ally in Anna Hendricks. What’s sure is that the Ferrari girls’ lives are about to change drastically, now that Mama and Papa Ferrari seem to be more or less out of the picture (I don’t know if I’d call any deaths yet, but I wouldn’t remove the possibility either) and the whole world seems to be after the three of them. It doesn’t seem like there’s anywhere safe for them in Italy at least, so will they do as Hozuki intended and head for Japan?

Before any speculation, though, the astronomical/science/history nerd in me is pretty happy with the way that portion of the story is being developed in the background. We still don’t know exactly what this so called “Inheritance of Galileo” really is or why it is that everyone wants it all of a sudden, but we do know that it seems to be some sort of unpublished discovery or idea of Galileo’s that he hid away for some reason, and we do know that a lot of people want it, even if we have no clue why. It reminds me of something like The Da Vinci Code or some of Dan Brown’s other conspiracy-esque novels, and personally I find that sort of plot to be pretty fun to watch unfold. There’s definitely a conspiracy here, after all, what with even the police assisting in something akin to kidnapping and torture, but the bigger question for me is, why now? Why is Silvia’s boss, whom she presumably sees every day, suddenly taking her and her family’s hostage? Why didn’t the police keep the girls in custody when they first arrived in the station after being attacked? Why are all the air pirates suddenly interested in something like Galileo’s Inheritance, and where did Anna come from?

Then, of course, is the question of why everyone is so sure that three young descendants of the family would know more than their parents about such a matter. I can understand using the girls to threaten Silvia or Geshio, but why do they need to interrogate the girls themselves? It seems kind of silly to me, but then again, I am questioning a series with a giant goldfish mecha. I suppose from here we take that as is and enjoy the drama and action; the Ferrari sisters are up to their necks in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment